Whether or not you choose to shut down your pond for the winter is a decision based on personal preference. Some pond owners have a good view of their water feature throughout the year and prefer to leave their pond running, but they must be willing to keep an eye on it. Others who may travel more or don’t really see the pond from inside the house may choose to shut down the waterfall so they don’t have to concerned about it.
What needs to be done to shut down the pond for the winter?
- Remove pump and check valve and store in a frost free location.
- Remove UV Lights, Iongen and Auto Dosing Systems
- Install an AquaForce Solids Handling Pump to maintain oxygenation level.
- The AquaForce Solids Handling Pump is also to keep a hole in the ice for gas to escape.
- Remove filtration brushes or pads.
- Do not feed your fish when water temperatures are below 55 degrees.
Turpin Landscaping recommends using an AquaForce Solids Handling Pump for winter care to all pond owners as the best method to maintain an opening in the ice for toxic gas to escape. If not shutting down the pond the AquaForce only needs to run when ice is forming. They are available in three sizes to accommodate various pond situations.
The Turpin Landscaping Team aims to not just meet, but to exceed your expectations by adding beauty and value to your home. Please call Turpin Landscaping at 610.380.1119 for your pond maintenance.
If using a contact form is more convenient for you, please use the contact form on our contact page and we will contact you.